How can I contact the Chatham Police Department?
In an emergency, dial, 9-1-1. Non-emergengy calls can be placed to (217) 483-2453. We also provide electronic and printable forms via this site. Our station is open 24 hours if you need to talk to an officer in person at:
117 E Mulberry St
Chatham, IL 62629
What is my Childs Curfew?
Answer: If your child is under 17 years of age, they shall abide by the following guidelines:
- Between 12:01am and 6:00am Saturday (Friday night);
- Between 12:01am and 6:00am on Sunday (Saturday night);
- Between 11:00pm and 6:00am- from Sunday to Thursday night.
Are there any exceptions to the curfew?
- The minor is accompanied by a parent or guardian, or another adult with the permission of the parent or guardian;
- The minor is on an errand at the direction of the minor's parent or guardian, without any detour or stop;
- The minor is engaged in an employment activity, or going to or returning from an employment activity, without any detour or stop;
- The minor is involved in an emergency;
- The minor is attending an official school, religious, or other recreational activity, supervised by adults and sponsored by a government or governmental agency, or civic organization.
I am under 18 years old, what hours am I not allowed to drive?
Answer: Drivers license or permits issued to persons under age 18 are invalid:
- Friday & Saturday, 11:00pm - 6:00am
- Sunday - Thursday, 10:00pm - 6:00am
- See above for exceptions
What am I allowed to burn within the village limits?
- As used in this section, YARD WASTE includes and is limited to leaves, grass clippings, wood chips, and garden waste such as weeds and stalks. YARD WASTE does not include tree and shrub branches. OTHER WASTE includes paper, plastic, domestic waste, waste oil, tires, construction waste, lumber, and every other type of garbage, rubbish, or refuse not specifically within the definition of YARD WASTE, other than tree and shrub branches.
- Burning of yard waste is prohibited within the corporate limits of the village, except in areas which are zoned P-1 under the zoning regulations of this code of ordinances.
- The burning of other waste is prohibited at all times in all areas within the corporate limits of the village.
- Burning of yard waste in areas which are zoned P-1 under the zoning regulations of this code of ordinances is subject to the following regulations:
- (1) Burning of yard waste is permitted Wednesday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. and Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Each fire must be completely extinguished by 7:00 p.m., Wednesday through Friday, and 12:00 p.m. on Saturday.
- (2) No burning of yard waste is permitted on any state or national holiday.
- (3) No burning of yard waste is permitted when the wind is in excess of 12 mph.
- (4) Burning of yard waste must be personally supervised at all times by a person at least 14 years of age.
- (5) Persons burning yard waste shall do so with due regard for the safety of others and shall take appropriate precautions to insure that the fire is contained at all times.
- (6) The burning of yard waste producing obnoxious orders or emitting excessive smoke is prohibited.
- (7) Burning of yard waste shall be conducted so as not to create a visibility hazard on any roadway, sidewalk or private drive.
- (8) No yard waste may be burned, except yard waste which was generated on the zoning lot where the burning occurs.
- Burning of tree and shrub branches in all areas of the village is subject to the following regulations:
- (1) Burning of branches is permitted Wednesday through Saturday.
- (2) Persons burning branches shall do so with due regard for the safety of others and shall take appropriate precautions to insure that the fire is contained at all times.
- The Village Police Department is charged with the responsibility of monitoring and enforcing this section. The Village Police Department may order the extinguishment of any fire which, in the opinion of the officer on duty, violates this section.
- Burning of yard waste, other waste and branches within the village in violation of this section is declared a nuisance.
I locked my keys in my car, can an officer unlock my car for me?
Answer: Unfortunately, due to liability reasons, we are not able to provide this service any longer.